What is Edge?
Edge is a Catholic ministry for middle school youth (6th-8th graders). Using an interactive, non-classroom format, Edge is a relational model of catechesis and evangelization. Edge relies on a core team comprised of caring adults and teen volunteers who serve as small group leaders.
Goals of the Edge
- To foster a transforming spiritual experience of Jesus through the liturgy, which will allow early adolescents to experience the Word of God and the Eucharist in a deeper and more profound way.
- To create a positive experience of the Catholic Church for early adolescents.
- To assist middle school youngster in gaining an understanding and appreciation of what the Catholic Church teaches and believes.
- To incorporate the Catholic Church’s vision of social justice and peace into the spiritual life of pre-adolescents.
- To develop an identity in middle school youth and in The Edge ministry as being a vital and visual presence within the parish community.
Edge Registration for 2012-2013 will take place from August 18 to September 17, 2012.
Edge Sessions provide Catechesis (a.k.a. Religious Education) for non-Catholic school 6th to 8th graders. Edge sessions take place on Mondays, 4:00—5:15 p.m. in Msgr. Gara Hall.
Edge Fellowships are monthly youth ministry gatherings for ALL middle school youth, including those attending St. Rita’s School. Edge Fellowships take place on the first Monday of each month, 4:00 pm—5:15 pm in Msgr. Gara Hall. The first Edge Fellowship will be on October 1, 2012.
Lenten Living Stations of the Cross and Soup Kitchen—During Lent, Edgers will present the Living Stations of the Cross for parishioners, followed by a community “soup kitchen” supper in Msgr. Gara Hall. All Edge families are invited.
Eighth Grade Retreat—there will be an all-day retreat for Edgers graduating from eighth grade at the end of the school year (date to be determined).